My new cookbook is about to be launched in a few weeks – “No bacon, I am vegan.” I got the idea for the book at a Christmas BBQ in 2006 while still living in Sydney I happened to sit next to a middle-age couple and started talking to them. During the course of the evening I mentioned how much I hate BBQs simply because being a vegetarian I don’t have much of a choice and always leave feeling hungry.
They were curious about my lifestyle choice as one of their sons was seeing a vegan girl and they had no clue what to cook whenever he brings her around for a meal. Being a long time vegetarian their conundrums seem so simple to me and hence the idea for this cookbook.
It has taken three years to write, and another six to seven months for design and photo shooting. During that time I also moved interstate, went back to university and did a postgraduate study in sustainability, and started a community garden where I am currently living. It has been a long haul.
The book is divided into 10 chapters:
- Chapter 1: Nutritional guide to vegan diet
- Chapter 2: The vegan pantry
- Chapter 3: Middles eastern flavours
- Chapter 4: Chinese flavours
- Chapter 5: Italian flavours
- Chapter 6: Indian flavours
- Chapter 7: South East Asian Flavours
- Chapter 8: Flavourful BBQs
- Chapter 9: Flavourful soups
- Chapter 10: Flavourful desserts
Each chapter has a short introduction to the culinary tradition of the region featured and each recipe is accompanied with handy cooking tips.
Watch this space for further notice.