This is an easy soup to make. Perfect for a cold winter evening. The orange juice and lemon zest give the soup that special zing – a simple way to jazz up a vegetarian dish.
- 225 gm of mixed lentils
- 1.5 litres of water or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium size onion – grated or finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 orange, fresh is best
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan for serving
- Coarsely chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
Heat the olive oil, saute onion until translucent, add in lentils, bay leaves & herbs, water, lemon zest, orange juice. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese and parsley prior to serving.