I caught up with a mate of mine for Swinburne. Scott has always wanted to visit the Village Well office. Who doesn’t? Village Well has two green balconies (citrus, fejoias, salad greens, chilies, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and beans) complete with rainwater tanks, compost bin, worm farm and of course recycling bins. Both balconies also have outdoor seating areas and furniture. All these right smack bang in the middle of Melbourne CBD. http://www.villagewell.org
Scott brought his own lunch, which was quinoa and chopped up greens and I was inspired by it and went home that night and made my version of it.
- 1 cup raw red quinoa
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 2½ cups filtered water
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of any cooked beans, or 1 can of beans (broad beans/chickpeas/lima beans/kidney beans) rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh coriander
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced (optional)
- 1 small block of feta, crumbled for topping (for non-vegan option)
- 1 small tomato, cut into six pieces for topping
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
Wash quinoa and buckwheat and place in a medium size pot, add water and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover pot with a lid. 15 minutes into cooking add the diced carrot and stir until carrot is thoroughly mixed with the grains. Replace lid and continue cooking until the liquid has been fully absorbed. It usually takes about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool in the pot for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, chopped all the herbs and onion and mix the dressing in a bowl. Place cooked grains in a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, including the dressing and mix well. Transfer to a large serving bowl and decorate with sliced tomatoes.